Would you like to contribute to the energy transition in Germany through your work? Then the Helmholtz Institute Erlangen-Nürnberg (for Renewable Energy) (HI ERN) is the right place for you! The HI ERN forms the core of the close partnership between Forschungszentrum Jülich, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin for Materials and Energy, and Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) at the Erlangen site. The collaboration relates to the areas of innovative materials and processes for photovoltaic energy systems and hydrogen as a storage and carrier medium for CO2-neutral energy. Support us researching and developing solutions for the climate-neutral, sustainable, and cost-effective utilization of renewable energies.
The successful candidates will be part of the HyThroughGen project team, aiming to accelerate material and component selection processes for next-generation proton exchange membrane electrolyzers (PEMEL). The harsh environments in state-of-the-art electrolyzers require expensive materials such as iridium oxide as catalysts and (platinized-) titanium as porous transport layers and current collectors. The next generation aims to reduce the overall cost by increasing the lifetime and even replacing expensive materials. The team combines the expertise of both the Electrocatalysis and the Electrocatalytic Interface Engineering Department of HI ERN to develop new manufacturing methods and accelerated testing of PEMEL materials. We utilize internationally unique material and process characterization methods which are based on the sophisticated coupling of trace element analysis to electrochemical systems, additive manufacturing, and advanced physical analysis methods. Thereby the aim is to significantly contribute to the development of electrochemical energy conversion as a future key player for electromobility and the energy policy in general.
Join our team as
Join our team as
PhD student for the data management for a high throughput testing facilitiy
- Data Scientist for a high throughput PEMEL Project
- Design of a data network connecting various testing equipment, and automizing data evaluation
- Close collaboration with automation specialist to develop a reliable, fast, material testing process
- Collaboration with partners within HI ERN and outside
- Analysis and communication of the obtained experimental data
- Writing scientific publications and presenting the results in
- Representing of the institute in project meetings
- Excellent university degree (Master) in Computer Science, or a similar discipline
- Strong interest in pursuing renewable energy research
- Experience in one (or more) of the following areas is desirable: Automation of data evaluation, Image recognition, Labview, Python, R
- Intrinsic motivation to show initiative, creativity, and to work independently
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to show initiative and work independently
- Excellent cooperation and communication skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English
- High motivation for pursuing a PhD within 3 years
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- A lively scientific environment within the institute and possibilities for cooperation with excellent partners at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, the Forschungszentrum Jülich, the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin, and abroad
- Excellent environment to perform high-quality research and to implement own ideas in the development process
- Work with worldwide-unique electrochemical characterization techniques
- Excellent training in electrochemistry
- Comprehensive training courses and individual opportunities for personal and professional further development
- 30 days of annual leave
- A structured doctoral degree programme for you and your supervisors with a comprehensive further training and networking package on our doctoral researchers’ platform JuDocs https://www.fz-juelich.de/judocs
The position is initially for a fixed term of 3 years, with possible long-term prospects. Pay in line with 75% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Pay higher than the basic pay may be possible.
Place of employment: Erlangen
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.